Download, Print, Complete, and Mail Application to Our Office
- Be an active member of GACA/NAADAC (optional, but qualifies for member discounts)
- Minimum High School diploma or Equivalency (G.E.D.)
- 2 years full-time or 4,000 hours active practice as a chemical dependency/abuse counselor in the past 5 years. Volunteer counseling supervised by a GACA Certified Clinical Supervisor (CCS) may also be accepted in lieu of paid hours to equal 4,000 hours
- 180 contact hours of education and training in alcoholism and drug abuse or related counseling subjects, including six hours of ethics training, 18 hours of cultural diversity training, and 3 hours of HIV/AIDS education. Minimum 100 contact hours within the past 5 years. Maximum 90 hours may come from a college transcript. (See Worksheet for Calculating Clock Hours for details)
- 96 hours of supervision by a GACA Certified Clinical Supervisor (CCS). Minimum 24 of these hours must be one-on-one supervision, with minimum 2 hours of individual supervision in each of the 8 counselor skill groups.
- Passing score on the NCC AP (national written exam) Level. (To be taken AFTER application is approved by Certification Committee)
- Individuals seeking certification who have been convicted of felony or other criminal offenses must be cleared of all pending charges concerning drug and alcohol use or abuse, and must be cleared of all other felony charges at the time of application including successful completion of all probation requirements.
- Applicant must have met minimum requirements above CACI prior to submission of the application (EXCEPTION: Written examination will be taken following application approval by the Certification Committee)
- Completed and signed GACA Certification Application including the signed statement that the applicant has read the NAADAC Code of Ethics and subscribes to it
- Two professional letters of reference stating the applicant’s character and competency to be sent directly to GACA. One letter must be from a GACA-certified counselor.
- Written verification of competency in all skill groups by the work supervisor(s) who has personally observed the applicant’s chemical dependency/abuse counseling work
- Written verification of competency in all skill groups by the Certified Clinical Supervisor(s) who has personally supervised the applicant’s practical experience
- Documentation of Education and Training Hours in the form of certificates of completion and/or original college transcript(s)
- If applicable, documentation and explanation of all cleared pending charges concerning drug and alcohol use or abuse, or felonies and at least two years post-completion of all sentencing requirements to include probation. Request for exception or appeals for non-felony charges may be made in writing to the Certification Committee.
- Payment of non-refundable application fee
Download and Print Application and Mail to Our Office